Monday, March 10, 2008

Disaster!

Today was the first day back at "school" after about a two month break and a big shake up in our lives. And guess what it turned into? Disaster!
It was probably my fault, okay it WAS my fault. I thought we'd just jump into everything and it would be great. As it turns out, there's a bit more to teaching than just jumping in. I was using a lot of new curricula and teaching more kids and had more little ones to keep an eye on. I should have spent another week getting acquainted with what I was doing. Trouble is, it seemed like if we didn't start now we'd never get into the swing.
In the whole day we did Bible, reading and maybe some math or spelling. Then I realized it was time to stop.
Tomorrow will be better.
I am going to lighten the work load and not expect too much. Our subjects will be:
Bible
Math
History which we missed doing today
Reading
Music
Nature Study

I have chosen Bible, math, history and reading because are what I consider our core topics and driving forces of our homeschool.
Music which is violin or piano practice is on because both music teachers expect 5-7 day a week practice depending on skill and age level.
Nature study is on because I want to do Barb's Green Hour Challenge even though we are jumping in on assignment 4. This will get us outside and I've always loved the idea of a nature study. We were going to start today but didn't make it.
Compared with today it seems like a lot to do. Compared with what we "should" be doing it looks pretty easy:
Science - only nature study
Writing - only in history
Spelling - N0
Grammar - No
Music appreciation - No
Cultural cooking - No
French - No
Latin - No
Phonics - No
Handwriting - No
Logic - No

I think I can handle this.

1 comment:

my5wolfcubs said...

NO can be a good word. Hope you get a wonderful rhythm to your days for all your children and yourself!
Lee (from the WTM board)
PS Cool bookcase on the sidebar!