Tuesday, April 8, 2008

We went to the library.

Today our local library reopened after being locked out for about a month and a half. Going to there was at the top of the list of things to do today. :D
We walked down and spent an hour or more browsing the shelves and overloading our arms with books. Then DH came and picked up the books, James and Cassidy up while the rest of us walked home. James pulled almost all the picture book off the shelves which turned out to be a useful (but very messy) way of showing me some new books.
I feel a tad sorry for anyone looking for children's biology books, I borrowed more than my fair share. :D It's such a blessing being able to preview many of the books I'm considering buying by just going to the library.
Seeing us all walk around with hundreds of books made me wonder how on earth we managed when we weren't able to go to the library. I know I didn't buy as many books as we check out, I'd be beyond broke!
Someone on the WTM boards recently asked how many books we assigned our children to read each year. I said that I didn't assign books because they naturally wanted to read and learn but I estimated that the elder ones read about 300. Well I was wrong, maybe 600, 700, 800? Today when were at the check out there was a mother and her two young children. The four or five year old girl was complaining that she had really wanted another video and that they had way too many books, between 10 and 15. The mom turned around to say sorry that her daughter was being so loud. I thought she was going to faint when she saw us! Her eyes bugged out and she made strange gasping noises, Megan thought it was hilarious. I'm often shocked by how little people read.

1 comment:

Ruskin said...

We often feel like the only ones who take books out of the library. Most people seem to be on the computers or watching a video - yes, there is a dvd player right beside the desks and cushions where we read! It is very distracting. I remember the scary days when you were told off for talking!