Sunday, January 13, 2008

Rest of the year

I only planned on changing history. We were struggling through modern history and Canadian history seemed a better choice. But, I've been thinking and realized that we've changed a lot more than just history.
History - Switched from modern history to Canadian history. The plan for the rest of the year is:
January - Introduction to Canada
February - French Canadians
March - First Nations and Inuit
April - Discovery of Canada - Confederation
May - Confederation - present day
June - two weeks of Canadian government, one week of scientists and one week of athletes

If you're going "What? Why are the First Nations and Inuit after the French Canadians?" I"ll explain. My original plan was to go chronological along with First Nations/Inuit in Feb. But we'll be in France part of the time so I think French Canadians is a better fit.

Math - I finally clued in to the fact that Saxon 6/5 was too simple for Chelsea. She's loving Saxon 7/6 so much that she did lesson 4 on the weekend! :D
I've decided to buy the first Miquon book for Megan. I'm really excited about it and think she'll like the discovery approach. No more Saxon for her!

Art and music app. - I've been really happy with Harmony Fine Arts but have decided to go with our Canadian history study we should study Canadian artists. I still haven't got that all planed out but we're starting Emily Carr tomorrow. She'll be a good artist for us to start of with, mainly because she's local so there are lots of resources around.
I'm also dropping music app. which is something I never thought I'd do. I really enjoy it and so do the kids but for the rest of the school year we're going to stop. Instead we're doing COOKING! Were going to choose a country per week and make to meals/snacks/baking/cook something from that country. We're going alphabetically.
This week is Australia and we'll make pavlova (I tend to think of this as a New Zealand food but the kids are always looking for an excuse to have it!) and zucchini and vegetable slice.
Next week will be Belgium and make Belgium waffles and Belgium creamed potatoes
Then there's Canada (!) and we'll have pancakes and homemade, vegetarian poutine (Canada doesn't have much traditional food and I was getting desperate!) which I'm going to improvise a recipe for (this might turn into a chemistry class!).
Geography - We finished of Galloping the Globe and are focusing on Canadian geography.
Phonics - Cassidy is flying along with Explode the Code. I thought we'd get through Book A of the Get Set for the Code series but she's happily going along with book B.

I'm amazed at how confident I feel with all this different stuff because normally I like to have tradition and ease into new situations. But everything is going well. :D

No comments: